Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service Inc. (SunRCS) collects and administers a range of personal information for the purposes of service provision. The organisation is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information it collects, holds and administers. SunRCS recognises the essential right of individuals to have their information administered in ways which they would reasonably expect – protected on one hand, and made accessible to them on the other. These privacy values are reflected in and supported by our core values and philosophies.
SunRCS is bound by Victorian Privacy Laws, the Information Privacy Act 2000, as well as other laws, which impose specific obligations when it comes to handling information. The organisation has adopted the respective Privacy Principles contained in the Victorian Privacy Laws as minimum standards in relation to handling personal information.
In broad terms this means that we:
- Collect only information which the organisation requires for its primary function;
- Ensure that clients are informed as to why we collect the information and how we administer the information gathered;
- Use and disclose personal information only for our primary functions or a directly related purpose, or for another purpose with the person’s consent;
- Store personal information securely, protecting it from unauthorised access; and
- Provide clients with access to their own information, and the right to seek its correction.
SunRCS will adhere to the procedures outlined below.
- Only collect information that is necessary for the performance and primary function of SunRCS.
- Notify clients about why we collect information and how it is administered.
- Notify clients that this information is accessible to them.
- Only use or disclose information for the primary purpose for which it was collected, or a directly related secondary purpose.
- For other uses, obtain consent from the affected person.
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the information we collect is accurate, complete, upto-date and relevant to the functions we perform.
- Safeguard the information we collect and store against misuse, loss, unauthorised access and modification.
- Only destroy records in accordance with Records Management Policy.
- Ensure individuals have a right to seek access to information held about them and to correct it if it is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date.
- Give clients the option of not identifying themselves when completing evaluation forms or opinion surveys.
- Only release information about a person with that person’s expressed permission. For personal information to be released, the person concerned must provide a written request or authorisation.
- Release information to third parties where it is requested by the person concerned.
The Board of SunRCS is responsible for adopting this policy.
The Board, Executive Officer and all staff members, contractors and volunteers are responsible for the implementation of this policy.
The organisation’s Executive Officer is responsible for monitoring changes in Privacy legislation and for reviewing this policy as and when the need arises.
The Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service website provides the following privacy statement, in accordance with
the Guidelines for Federal and Victorian Government World Wide Websites.
visiting our site, our server notes the following information provided by your browser:
- The type of browser and operating system you are using
- The address of the previous site you visited
- Your Internet Provider’s server address
- The date and time of your visit
- What pages were accessed and documents downloaded
This information is only used for statistical analysis or systems administration purposes
to improve our online services.
No attempt will be made to identify you or your browsing activities individually, except
in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant
to inspect the Internet Service Provider’s logs.
We will not disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent, unless we are required or authorised to do so by law or other regulation. In the event of an investigation into suspected unlawful or improper activity, a law enforcement agency or government agency may exercise its legal authority to inspect the web server’s records (eg. in relation to hacking or abusive messages).
Security of your personal data
The employees of the Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service have a statutory duty to deal with your personal information confidentially (Information Privacy Act, section 67).
This web site does not provide facilities that guarantee secure transmission of information over the Internet. You should be aware that there are risks in transmitting information across the Internet. If you are concerned about conveying sensitive material to Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service over the Internet, you might prefer to contact us by telephone or mail.
E-mail management – collection of personal information
The Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service website will only record your e-mail address if you send us a message. Your e-mail address will only be used for the purpose that you have provided it for and will not be added to a mailing list. We will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose and will not disclose it, without your consent.
In compiling the information contained on, and accessed through this website, best endeavours have been made to ensure that the information is correct and current at the time of publication but takes no responsibility for any error, omission or defect therein.
To the extent permitted by law, Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service’s agents and consultants exclude all liability for any loss or damage (including indirect, special or consequential loss or damage) arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information whether or not caused by any negligent act or omission. If any law prohibits the exclusion of such liability, Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service limits its liability to the extent permitted by law, to the resupply of the information.
This site provides links to other, related sites. The Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service web site is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites. Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service does not warrant the security of any information supplied to Sunraysia Rural Counselling Service through its web site.